Tuesday, December 2, 2008

SEAN ~ "MRI"

The MRI

I was reading The Phantom Tollbooth in the waiting
room before my MRI. I was totally out of this world, lost in a magical wonderland. My dangerous journey to save the world from peril was reaching the end, when my mom asked, “Hey, Sean ready for your MRI?”
“Yeah,” I said, while I was really thinking BE QUIET. I wanted to stay engulfed in my book.
All of a sudden, the doctor with his white coat and stethoscope meandered in, saw my book, and said,“ If any kid can read before an MRI, he can do it awake.” Oh my gosh, this saying just continued my bravery line. The start was when the doctor diagnosed me with a rare kind of cancer the needles the surgeries it was all part of a line of bravery that would continue my whole life. Still I was left thinking what’s going to happen? Is it going to hurt? What are my parents thinking? I am so scared. All this rushed through my mind as the doctor left the room.
He left the room to tell the nurse to get me ready. Wondering what that meant she came in stuck an I.V. in my arm. Then she laid me on a board in front of the giant machine. It looked like I was a delicacy being served to a giant, white, monster. After an eternity, the nurse finished wrapping giant belts around me. she asked me one final question, “What kind of music would you like?”
“Rock and roll,” I said. So she put some headphones on me and left the room to go to her control center. I was stuck in a bare, quiet, ugly room. Suddenly the giant machine starts moaning and sucking me into what seemed like a vortex of nothingness. My mind started to scream and quake in fear. It was like a boxing match. It was me against the machine and I was on the ground, in tears but wasn’t knocked out. The stupid machine couldn’t knock me out because I wouldn’t let him. As the machine slowed and came to a halt, my rock and roll music started to play. It would have been pretty relaxing had I not been stuck in the middle of a man eating MRI machine. Finally, as I was relaxing with the rock and roll music soothing my nerves, when the nurse’s voice suddenly blared into my headphones and asks, “Okay, Sean, ready for your first set of pictures?”

In that moment, I was like, what are you talking about? I thought she was taking pictures this whole time! But before I could finish pondering this question, a horrible noise erupted from the machine. Now, as a 6 year old, I was starting to believe this evil, horrid machine actually was trying to eat me. As soon as this thought, came fear returned.

He stood taunting me, a demonic aura surrounded him. His eyes were a fiery red and his heart was ice cold. I tried and tried again to hit him or just brush him away yet the belts restrained me. After what seemed like an eternity of torture, the machine ceased to moan. As soon as it ceased, fear vanished into nothing. I sat their relived. Relived fear had left, I was alone once again. Again the headphones explode on and the nurse’s voice hollered “Sorry, Sean, you moved on the set of pictures. We are going to have to retake them.” I was so angry I could have screamed what are you talking about you said I had to lay here; you didn’t say anything about doing it frozen. Instead I realized that the dreadful machine was going to begin.

The machine aroused moaning, the sound shattered my eardrums yet fear couldn’t penetrate me because I had music. I tried to focus on my music but couldn’t. It was like it wasn’t there. Wait a minute it wasn’t my music wasn’t there! Those stupid pranksters I thought while anger engulfed me. I waited still until the pictures were taken to ask the nurse, “Why aren’t you playing my music.”

She replied in a sassy tone “I am! What the heck are you talking about?” Then and there I heard a very faint guitar solo entering into my ears. After straining to listen for a couple of seconds, my brain activated and said to me in a little squeaky voice “This machine is blocking out your music.” So as I sat there bored out of my mind I recalled the time passed and dreadful things this disease has made me do. First the dreaded needles every month I was in the I.V. room with a bag of liquids of who knows what. Second the surgeries I would ride in my little wagon to go to the surgeries Who would have known this will continue until I was seven and beyond.

5 comments:

  1. * I like how the nurse had music on for you.
    * I really liked how you refered to the machine as a monster.
    * The way you exaggerated your writing gave it more suspense.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. *I like how in the beginning you jumped right into the story.

    *I liked how you called the MRI a "Man eating MRI.

    *The righting had good characters response.


    Dylan Spence

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you called the nurse all sorts of things like prankster

    I liked how you described the MRI a man eating monster

    The moanig sound of the matchie you described was cool

    That was Fantastic!!!
    Jamee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked when you said engulfed because it made me know that you didn't want to put the book down.

    When the doctor said you could stay awake, I would be freaking out.

    When you said you were going to be eaten be a giant, I could picture it because you gave good descpition.

    You made the photo machine come to life! AHHH!

    I love it!
    Caitlin

    PS: But I don't want a M.R.I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I could hear the machine in my head by how you described it.
    2. I would have gone to sleep - can you do that in that machine?
    3. I think you are brave to read the book before the test.

    I was shocked to learn you had cancer...WOW. I hope it doesn't come back.

    Alex C.

    ReplyDelete