Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ezekiel ~ "Climbing is my Passion"

Climbing is the most thrilling experience in life. It was the summer of 2008 and I was going on a backpacking journey to Jenny Lake to climb on the intimidating rocks around the vast lake. I was so charged up that I could hardly sleep the night before. Bubbling lava of excitement was trying to get out. It was like that all night, so it was easy to wake up really early for the start of my new hobby. The big day was nothing like I ever imagined it would be; it was much, much better. We had to hike, but even the hike was full of adventure and the unseen. I saw a tree so big it took seven people’s arms to wrap around its trunk. Another a huge tree bent when it fell instead of snapping. It looked like an elephant had sat on the top of it - like in the cartoons! When we finally got to a small resting spot, we started bouldering, climbing without a harness and a rope. My friend and I always raced to get to the destinations, which, of course, was the top of the sandpaper rock. I have always loved to boulder; it is my favorite part of climbing. But this time I could hardly wait for the real on-rope action to begin.
Once we were done with bouldering, it was time to put on our backpacks and carry our supplies. We wrapped the ropes around our necks because it was easier carrying them that way. The ropes would be used when I actually had to strap myself into my harness and to scurry up the mountain. My friend and I acted like the crocodile hunter as we hiked because of the realistic snake-like ropes around our necks. Before, I knew it, I crashed into my friend with a thud. In a scared whisper he said, “Dude, stop! It’s time to start real climbing now.”
I froze with excitement and nervousness. “Oh man, this is what I have been waiting for,” I replied.
Then I fell into a deep daze, and my vision blurred. I remembered back to that morning when I was telling my dad, “I’m nervous.”
But he wouldn’t let me say a word; he just kept saying, “Don’t worry, son! I know you will have a great time.” He said that over and over again until he got it into my head. At the time, I was annoyed with him for repeating himself, but it was a bit comforting. Now, I realized that he had won and I had lost, he had officially gotten it into my head.
I was back to reality and I found my self tying figure eight knots in the ropes and one person in my group had already crept up the steep mountain side. As my turn grew closer with each reach and step for a hand hold I got more and more scared and I wanted to throw up. Finally, I was face to face with the mountain and felt the cold wind brush my face. I felt peace full, but still scared. I reach up to cling onto a crack in the Earths wall, but my friends voice stopped me. He called out, “Good luck!”
Right then I realized how good of a friend I had to get my through this, thrilling and miserable day. I rounded up my courage and started the climb. Each hand hold I grabbed I got more comfortable with the thought of what I was doing. The feeling of the ruff rocks on my hands and the sun on my back was really comforting. When I finally got to what I thought was the top, my teacher was waiting there.To my surprise, she told me it was not the top, so with a groan, up I went, climbing to go to the final resting stop. I got to the top with the friend following close behind. We all sat on a cliff for a picnic.I tried to settle all my buzzing thoughts in my head. This was the most thrilling thing I have ever done; it wasn’t scary at all and I was ready for more.
When I heard my teachers say that it was time to repeal off the hundred and twenty foot cliff, I felt my hands sake and my legs wobble. I wasn’t very excited anymore. I thought of the last time I took a climbing class in the middle of the summer. It was at The Enclosure and we learned to repeal. I remembered how scared I was even though there was pads at the bottom and it was a indoor climbing gym. now because this time there was no pads it was all razor sharp rocks and trees. Repealing even sounds hard! I attached the rope to my harness and slowly lower myself down the cliff, and if I let go I would be in big,big trouble. One by one I saw each person from my group, their scared faces lowering below the cliff. Then like lightning it was my turn, and I heard my teachers strong voice call out, “Come on, Zeke, it is your turn now. Come on up hear.”
Just like that danger shot into my mind. I even asked the teacher if there was a chance I’d die. I got the answer I most feared. The answer was yes. Then I remembered all the things I had been scared of that day and how it all turned out fine. I realized that fear was like a troll who wanted everyone to fear him, he made us feel like he was the the sun and we were his shadows. I could visualize the troll’s mad face in my head as my fear grew worse as my teacher finished strapping me in, and as I walked over to the cliff and looked over the 120 foot edge at the sharp rocks at the bottom. I noticed the small landing area, at this point I was freaking out. As I lowered down over the edge,after about two minutes of freaking, a feeling deep in my body came to me. Excitement and fear collided. Just as the ride was getting really fun, it was over in a flash. After all of that worry, I actually loved it more than anything. I wanted to do it again.
I would have never guessed that I would climb on a real mountain and repel off a 120 foot cliff. Even though I was scared, I want to go again! Now that I know that I love to climb and repeal, I am going to try to do it every year and make it one of my hobbies.

5 comments:

  1. Ezekiel,
    Wow, I really enjoyed reading this story. I could visualize exactly what you were experiencing because I had the same experience in the summer of 2007. I understand the both the fear and the thrill that you describe. And, boy oh boy, I know exactly what you're talking about when you describe that very scary moment of stepping off of the tiny little ledge to drop and rappel the 120 feet below. Your description brings back many good memories. I love the part where you describe fear like a troll who wants everyone to fear him. What a great visual picture that creates in my head! Great job with this story, Ezekiel!
    Ms. Swiggum

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Your personification of fear was really great! I could picture the troll, too!

    *I would have been scared to death to repel down that cliff, even if I love climbing, too.

    *You had amazing vocabulary! (i.e. razor sharp rocks, thrilling, buzzing, snapping)

    Anna B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.love the bubbleing lava of excitment

    2. love the discriotion of the tree

    3. first time i reapled i was inshock almost from fear

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good definitions and excellent! Also you are really brave! I only do rock climbing but I wish I could try it when I grow up because my mom wouldn't let me.

    Stefani Cervantes

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I think it was brave of you.
    2. Its nice to have friends around.
    3. I liked the part when u said and like lightning it was my turn.

    alex C.

    ReplyDelete