Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Heather ~ "The Day of 9/11"

Yep, I was 5 years old. Sitting in my living room on a Tuesday morning around 11:00 am, I was at home sick. My dad was sitting on our couch and I was in a huge bundle of blankets on our big blue chair. I was pretending that it was my chair and my chair ONLY, so I was busy naming it Big Blue while drinking some warm milk. Dad watched the news every morning, so it wasn’t unusual or new to me that I wasn’t able to watch my morning shows like Barney or the Teletubbies. Then, my dad screamed out in shock. His eyes and reaction caught my attention.

He quickly turned up the volume and that was the beginning of a new surprising story. Right away I knew that my dad was surprised by something because his scream was no ordinary scream. I jumped out of Big Blue (my chair) and into his lap like I had jumped straight from a trampoline. Once I was in his lap I stared into the TV with just like he was, but I didn’t understand what was going on. I watched the TV intently trying to understand. I always asked my dad why he would watch Fox News every morning, and every time he had the same response, “So I have an update to know what is going on in the world we live in.”


It was a bright and beautiful morning in New York City, and most people were either on their morning jog, heading to work or going to school. People had no idea what was coming their way.
Not too many airplanes that came shooting through that area, so when they heard the plane, most of the people there were thinking, “What the heck is going on?” I know I was. All of a sudden, that insufferable moment. Hundreds even thousands easily say that they heard the “crash heard around the world,” but these who heard the roaring noise, their lives changed forever.













When daddy was trying to explain it to me, he took one look at me and he knew that I was confused. Then I asked him, “Daddy, what is wrong?” He didn’t move for a while, but then it was like I squeezed it out of him. He replied out of nowhere, “Honey, these two towers called the Twin Towers had been hit by two airplanes...” I didn’t think that he finish the rest because his eyes were glued to the t.v. Just from looking at his face, I could tell that fear was wrapped around his heart, not ready to let go.
All I said was, ”What? Daddy???” I felt like he was talking to me in a whole different language. I remember those exact words, I kept asking and asking him. Some how, I quickly caught onto the whole subject.
As I have gotten older, I now know more about them. Now when I hear a loud boom, I suddenly think about the Twin Towers now called Ground Zero or something else people had thought of. I am now 11 years old and I am in the 6th grade. So I am always interested in learning more about that day, the families that had lost someone, or those who had their hearts broken.

The World Trade Centers were penetrated! Citizens of the U.S. were devastated, they had disbelief and they started to loose faith and trust in the way they thought about other people. Soon, New York City was a mess.

After the horrible incident happened, thousands got together and really started to think about the airport security, and wanted some rules to change. Once America got their wish and started to have things how they wanted, everyone knew that the crash had happened and that people were still in pain. Sooner or later, everything would be O.K. I am still trying to figure out why Osama bin Ladin would do something like that to an innocent country.
I believe that the next time something like that happens, America will redeem our confidence and not only try to be better, but we could change the world for a lifetime.

5 comments:

  1. heather!
    1. I really liked how you explained the morning you heard about it and your dad's reaction!!
    2. I loved your discription! Like how you explained... "The world trade centers were penetrated"
    3. I liked how you explained your feelings and how you don't understand why they would do that to our country!!!
    4. You had perfect discription when you were telling how you named your chair!
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. i liked how the voice and plot skipped around and if i saw that i would be wondering too.
    2. that was funny how you named your chair it was very realistic
    3. i thought it was cool how you said "the crash could be heard around the world" it really gave you a sence of what was happening.
    claire
    claire a.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.You started out really good describing the plot well
    2.you had good characters response and characters thoughts and feelings
    3.I liked how you named your chair "big blue"

    Tomi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather that was an intence story!!

    1.I liked how you went to New York without going any were,how you got inside there heads.

    2 I iked it how you were asking dad all those question and his eyes didn't want to move.

    3.I liked how you said that the crash could be herd around the world.
    greate job heather!!
    ~Matt schmillen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather,

    1. First of all... YAY ME!!!

    2. I think that I did a perfect job on my story! It was so realistic.

    3. When I read my story, I about collapsed in shock! That was a great story! Keep up the great work!!!

    ~Heather S.

    ReplyDelete