Wednesday, December 3, 2008

River ~ "Middle School"

I almost sprinted to my new locker in my new school, the Jackson Hole Middle School! I nodded to my new teachers standing in the hallway. I nodded to some of my old friends, but I had no time to talk! I was so excited about middle school! When I finally got to my locker, I spotted one of my old friends, the one I had done Jungle Book with the year before who also has the same birth-day as me. She was my best friend. “Cheyenne!” I yelled.
“River,” Cheyenne responded nearly yelping. Excited was my only feeling until I found out what homeroom she was in.
“What?” I questioned, “You are barely in any classes of mine,” I whined, and then a question occurred to me that hurt me even more. What if it was like this for all my friends?
Panic showed up and started pacing while whispering in my ear, “Oh great! NO FRIENDS! You are on your own!” He paced faster and faster and whispered louder and louder.
That’s when Worried showed up. “Oh no, no friends that’s not good at all,” he muttered in my other ear. Worried and Panic get along just fine. They love these types of situations most.
What if it was like this for all my friends? What if I have no friends in middle school? What if I have no one to trust? No one to be there for me? My head hurt from all of these terrible thoughts that were running though my head. Then the bell finally rang and I hurried to my new class.
Nervousness was just like Worried but acted like it was a horror movie going on. “Don’t do it River” “Don’t go though that door!” it was my homeroom door but Nervousness made it seem as if I was walking to the house of a killer. Happiness pushed Nervousness out of the way and pushed me though the door, there was a smile on my face with happiness at my side. There were some of my old friends I knew, Heather, Kinzel and Catlin, and some new people like Nicole, who is a great listener and Hailey, who has just about the same crazy level as me. They had gone to a different school then me, but these new people I met were my friends quickly! It was the end of 5th period and I was walking past the rather tall 8th graders…
That’s when one more of the emotion's friends showed up; his name is Scared. He was hiding behind me shaking, and pointing at the 8th graders saying stuff like, “ You know some of them.” This caused more shaking and hiding. “They could make fun of you”… Easy”. But I had my new AND old friends including Cheyenne by me.
“I love middle school,” I told my friends almost in a whisper. But then almost a yell at the last bell, and skipped thought the halls I thought to myself, “Why was I even scared in the 1st place?” I was in middle school, grown up, and had awesome, outrages friends!

8 comments:

  1. 1. The beginning was very hooking.
    2. I liked the part about the 8th graders.
    3. Your personifications were GREAT!
    ~Claire French

    ReplyDelete
  2. River,
    What a great concept...personifying your emotions. I think that the next time I am scared or happy or excited, I will think of those feelings as just some of my friends! This story really moves well as you progress from being scared, panicked, nervous...to being happy and excited. It's a great description of what it must feel like as a new student to the middle school. I love these two sentences, "Worried and Panic get along just fine. They love these types of situations most." Nice job!
    Ms. Swiggum

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.I really like how you personified your feelings when it was your first day of school I can make connections of how you felt with me!!!
    2.I like how you descrived what you were doing when you got to school!
    3.I think you did a really nice job with describing your feelings. Danicia Quezada

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.When you said you were scared because none of your friends were in you class. I can make a huge connection because i had just moved here and new only a couple people exept they don't like me.
    2. I liked how you yelled to cheyenne it was funny.I can make a connection because i always do that when i am happy to see my friends.
    3. I think in your writing you did a great job personifying.columbia eiden

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are explaining your emotions emazingley mostley the part about hayle & your crazy level!!!
    ~kinzel

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1.you have great diolage
    2.nice job on describing your feeling when you got to the school

    tenzing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also got scared because of my sister said that Middle school is evil and stuff like that. Plus I didn't have any friends till I choosed to make new friends and that helped a lot! By the way I love you're story! It a 10.

    From Stefani Cervantes

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I loved your personification of worried and happiness.
    2. I could relate to how you felt - I felt the same way on the first day.
    3. I could see Hailey and Nicole how you described them. You painted a picture in my head.

    Good job!
    Alex C.

    ReplyDelete