Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ben ~ "Weight Lifting"

My sister and I were dashing down the sidewalk at the high school trying to beat our dad to the weight-room where he had to get some paperwork. It was the first time he let me come. Right when we made it there right when my demanded, “Don’t play with the weights!”
“O.K. daddy,” I said as I walked over to the large circular black weight on a pole. I was playing with the weights (despite my dad’s warning). Quickly, I figured out why he told me not to. The 45-pound weight fell on my foot (I was wearing rubber boots). I was going to die, I thought as my foot was turning a dark purple. My dad leaped up, sprinted over to me, and put me on the counter. He was so shocked he was speechless.
Of course I was crying when he did. He took off my shoe. Was he trying to kill me? I thought, as pain chewed at my foot. “Don’t cry.” He said as he hugged me close to his chest. I thought he would be mad at me for not listening. He picked me up and took me to the greenish-blue van. He started driving, slightly speeding. I wondered where we were going. Then, despite the pain, I dozed off.
I woke up in the hospital, my foot was still hurting. I looked around and a white-coated doctor came in. “Where am I?” I asked.
“You’re in the hospital!” he said. “ We’re going to check your bones,” he said as he brought me into a dark, green-lighted room. I was terrified. Back then I thought that when you broke a bone it fell off. The doctor guided this strange machine over my foot. There was an ear-splitting beep. “Everything is fine. It’s a good thing you were wearing those rubber boots.” Said the doctor. I felt relieved. Back then I thought that when a bone broke it fell completely off. So I was frightened. He took me back into the room I woke up in.
“I like it here.” I said. It was true I did like it there. I got to watch movies, and eat ice cream. But while I was there I couldn’t stop thinking of those words: “Don’t touch the weights!” I wouldn’t have been here if I had listened to them. Oops! At six years old I learned an important lesson: listen to your elders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. 1Can relate when lost my toe.

    2Cant believe rubber boots saved you.

    3Loved dialoge.

    by Sean Batenhorst

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I liked how you described the pain of a 45 pound weight on your foot. Ouch!
    2. I connected to thinking that a bone fell off when it broke!
    3. I could feel the love your dad had for you. Great job.
    Clay

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had great action words ctf, cr.

    you kind of seem like the kind of guy who would not listen after hearing speccificly not to.

    I liked the part when you said:Was he trying to kill me? I thought, as pain chewed at my foot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the one before this one was Tomi's I forgot to put my name on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1love how you are specific

    2conection think you are in trouble

    3 love how you have a specific moral to your story

    ReplyDelete
  6. one on top of this is haileys COMENTS PLEASE GIVE ME CREDIT I WILL DO AN EXTRAONE JUST IN CASE

    ReplyDelete