Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Kam - "Moroneso Family"

☺☹:| Moroneso Family☺☹:|
When my mom called me, I asked, “What?” I dashed down the stairs yelling, “What?”
She said in a soft voice, “Sit down.”
I wondered what she wanted. She was just sitting there taking deep breaths. This was not normal. I said, “What do you need?” I was feeling scared and worried because she just kept sitting there, staring at me. Worry whispered about death. I was sure my mom was going to tell me someone in our family had died. Who could have died, I wondered.
“You have another dad in South Carolina,” she finally blurted. Hurriedly, she went on, “You also have another sister and two brothers.”
I was so shocked. I had absolutely nothing to say because my seven-year-old mind couldn’t handle this news. I blurted, “WHAT!” Shocked and confused, I sat there silently. I stared so hard at the ground my head began to ache. I ran to my room and laid on my bed. Paralyzed, I didn’t know what to do. My DAD is my stepdad? I realized. What does this mean about Josie? Is she my STEP-sister? This couldn’t be true.
Later, I felt like I couldn’t think about anything else but my “dad”. I couldn’t think of anything else. I was trapped in that one thought. I felt like I was in jail.
After that week no one spoke about my dad. Everyone was shocked and stuck in their own thoughts. My mom did hook me up on e-mail with him. I was worried that he would have expectations about me that were unrealistic. I was worried that he wouldn’t want to be in contact with me. I was worried that he wouldn’t care about his son, the one he had never known. In spite of this, I sent him e-mail almost every week. We shared about our weeks, and I asked him about my brothers and sisters. Every time my inbox held an email from him, worry would erupt. I didn’t want him to write something I didn’t want to read.
Every once and a while I would get a phone call from him. When my mom would say, “Your dad wants to talk to you,” questions would fill my head. The first time I heard his voice, it seemed unreal. Imagine a voice you had never heard before being the voice of your father. It took me a while to recognize this stranger’s voice as my father’s. Often while talking to him, I heard my mom speaking in a way that I knew she didn’t want me to hear. I wondered what was going on. It would take a long time to find out.
Three years later, when I was 10 years old, my mom called me back down the stairs. On my way down I yelled, “What.” In my head I was thinking, “Dejavu!” I was thinking about the last time I had been called down these stairs to sit on the couch and have my mom spill the truth about my dad and siblings in South Carolina.
She said, “This summer you’re going to see your dad in South Carolina by yourself.” Then I knew what my mom was keeping away from me. That day my life transformed once again. I was finally going to meet the dad I had never known.
BY: ~KAMERON MORONESO~

4 comments:

  1. I liked how you used your dilog

    I liked how you said that your little seven year old mind could hold

    I also liked how you didn't want to see your step dad or read his email or talk to him

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like how you were exited to know your step dad

    i like how you thought of so many questions when you wanted to talk to you s. dad.

    good job describing and personifying your great story.

    your story made quistions flow through my mind great job
    ~Cassandra Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. You have great word choice and thoughts and feelings.
    2.Your story left me on the edge.
    3. I just met an uncle I never knew.
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story was set on a great plot.

    You described what happened really well.

    When your mom called you down, it was so exciting to hear what she had to say.
    ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete