Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Schuyler ~ "Italy"

Italy

They ditched me. They ditched me!
“Hey, wait up! Where the heck are you going,” I yelled. The only voice I heard was my own, echoing in the distance. At that moment my confusion was like a tsunami, washing over a beach. I sprinted down the trail Adam had taken. When I burst into the clearing where Adam should have been, it was as silent as a shadow.
I remember the day when I got the phone call. The phone was yelling, “I have something important to share.” When I answered, I was overjoyed to hear Adam’s offer. That is how this trip to Italy was born.
I was in Imprunetta, Italy in a olive vineyard on practically a square mile of land. Lush, rolling hillsides of Italian countryside surrounded me, engulfing me. Adam was one of my best friends in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. He had rented a house in Italy for a year. I wondered if I could survive without him. I had other friends, but still it would be different without him in Jackson Hole.

I arrived March 12 in Rome, Italy. I had just gotten in from a eight hour trip but I was as awake as ever. I was so excited to be in Italy. I remember taking the train, staring out at the beautiful countryside. Yellow daises spotted the country side making a beautiful effect. When we arrived at our hotel we loved it. It was small, three stories, and had a tiny little elevator that could only one person could fit in. Our rooms were small so we rented two. I loved Italy.

I arrived March 12, and the fun began. Adam, his friends, and I were walking down a beautiful passage with twelve foot tall, green perfectly manicured bushes. Ahead of me there were two neat paths, one to the left and one the right. When we were advancing up to the paths, they ditched me. Adam had gone left, and Eric, William, and Mathew had gone right. I sprinted as fast as I could down the left trail. Lost in confusion, I burst into the clearing. This is where Adam had gone. It felt like life was at a stand-still. Out of nowhere, I heard a loud rustling noise. I rotated my head to the source of the noise like a owl. Surprisingly, I saw a little manhole I hadn’t noticed earlier. I saw movement in the manhole and dashed after it like a tiger on its prey.
“I know you’re here,” I shouted. I saw the color of his yellow shirt and grabbed. “Gotchya,” I yelled as my hand snagged his shirt, like a eagle’s talon its prey. So much for all the silence. I stopped him in his tracks. My first question came speeding off the tip of my tongue, “Why did you ditch me?” I was panting, out of breath.
“We had it all planned out,” he said panting, just as out of breath as I was.
“Where was everyone else?” I asked sternly.
“Not telling,” he said in a singsong voice.
Just as he had said it, I said, “Yes you are.” I just realized that this was a little joke. I laughed at how uptight I was, it was all just a joke.
Two minutes later I knew exactly where everyone was. Now that I knew this was all a joke I slowly walked to where William and Mathew were supposed to be. They were to easy to find. They had orange shirts and were hiding in green bushes. Base point is, it was hilarious.
“It’s not like you’re wearing camouflage.” I shouted. I ran up to them, smirking. William was the older brother of the two. He was tall, extremely energetic and had very sharp features. Mathew was like a mini model of him but was less energetic.
“Hey, do you guys know if Erik has moved,” I asked.
“No,” he answered “he hasn’t, and I have the perfect plan.”
We had spotted Erik, and believe me it wasn’t hard. He was in the vineyard, probably not expecting anything. In my opinion the vineyard was the most beautiful place in the countryside We ran behind some leafy green trees with a peculiar all smell like fresh green grass. The beautiful nature put a gentle, settling calm in me. That was near to where he was coming.

We had a whole a day to be in Rome, to explore everything we could. We went to the Coliseum, the Pantheon, Palentine Hill and even Ceasers grave. Everywhere I looked I saw beautiful scenery.

“Boo,” we yelled as he jerked in surprise. The look on his face was so surprised, startled, and stunned.
“Got you there,” I announced in his face, grinning.
“How did you find me,” he asked quizzically, still dazed.
“It wasn’t hard,” I replied.
“Lets go home,” I announced, all of a sudden tired of all the action. Everyone agreed.
As every one else walked ahead, Adam and I stayed behind, walking slowly.
“You have cool friends,” I told him, breaking the silence like a bullet.
“I know,” he replied
“I never realized that here, even in Italy you can easily know someone you have never known.”
“I know” he calmly said “that is the beauty of the world.

6 comments:

  1. when did this happen?

    1. I really liked your conclusion, because thats true. I dont remember saying that though...:)

    2. That was a really nice way to begin your story with dialouge and work up to it.

    3. Your story is littered with some great animal similies ( Like an Eagle...) I really like your style of writing schuyler!


    adam

    ps when did we do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. That had me wondering at the beginning of the story where you were and what was happening.

    2. I liked what you said about the tsunami washing over the beach.

    3. You have a lot of similes. They're good too.


    Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your story was awesome and I really liked your description

    I thought your characters thoughts and feelings were very good

    I liked how you said in the beginning They ditched me. They ditched me!

    Cameron Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Your beginning was really catchy.
    2. They really did trick you!
    3. Your dialogue caugt my attion and it made me want to read on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Your beginning was really catchy.
    2. They really did trick you!
    3. Your diaiogue really caught my attention and it made me read on.
    Anders

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha good story... fun fun...

    ReplyDelete