Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Julio - "Uruapan"

Uruapan
As the smell of gasoline fills the air, the bland walls tell no story. The cobbled streets of the central square are packed with people minding their own business and street marketers trying to make a living.
People sit with melancholy waiting for a miracle. Some people think that poverty is a sad, terrible thing but I see it as a good thing not because people are poor but because poverty is one who slowly and secretly brings people together. Aside from poverty it’s not all sad. People smile and laugh with the people at their side.
There are also places to escape the crowded streets; you just have to find the empty ones that are filled with rich, inviting air. They are the peaceful ones, they are the ones that help you relax. These streets are not so rare, for they are everywhere.
As days go by the memory fades. My heart sinks deeper and deeper into a pool of sadness due to our lack of visits. Despite my parents fears over the economy and violence. My mind has frequent thoughts about going back and staying there.
And me you ask? I’m full of different emotions, constant flash backs and dreams of what it would be like to go back to my hometown of Uruapan.

By Julio Vazquez

4 comments:

  1. Julio,
    This is a really amazing piece of writing full of vivid scenes and profound thoughts. When you said, "poverty is one who slowly and secretly brings people together", it really made me think. Its true that in adversity people get closer. What an interesting way to view poverty. I have a feeling that you will write more about this place.
    Ms. Swiggum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a connection to germany. How you described Uruapan sound just lake a street in Germany.

    You are right when you say the memory fades. When I am not in germany for a long time the memory of it really starts to fade!

    I really like how you described Uruapan it made a perfect picture in my mind. Awsome story-Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was amazing, the setting just flowed into my mind.

    You described Uruapan realy well.

    Even your vocabulary turned into coler when I thought about it.
    ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I liked how you said, "These streets are not so rare, for they are everywhere.

    2. I also liked how you said, "Proverty is one how slowly and secretly brings people together.

    3. I liked your description and flow of everything.

    -Braxton M.

    ReplyDelete