Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Jamee ~ "Basketball is MY Sport"

Basketball is the sport that gets my adrenaline pumping. When my family and I put our basketball shoes on, our excitement takes us on a ride. My mom and especially NOT my dog, don’t play basketball. At the beginning of a game, we start pumping up outside, then we start to scrimmage (a short basketball game) or play lightning. My mom watches and cheers us on while saying, “Come on guys! You can do it! You can make it.” If I shoot and miss, she shouts, “Awww...so close!” She makes our hard work look perfect with the videotape.
Our dad plays, too. He is so hard to beat; he is like a piece of metal impossible to break through. I don’t think that anyone in my family will be able to beat him. He is also the best coach. When my older sister and I play, she makes me better.
I still remember when I was in kindergarten and just learning how to play. I was trying to dribble and learn how to shoot. I was holding the ball and staring up to the basket when my dad said, “Come on, Jamee, you can do it!”
“But, Daddy, the basket is too high!” I complained. I thought that I wasn’t going to make that shot. I pushed the ball with both hands and it flew into the sky. To my surprise, it went in!
He cried out, “Good job!” That was my first basket. Now, I can make all kinds of shots and my dad is always proud. On Monday, November 17, 2008, I won an award for being the best basketball player in the whole sixth grade!
When my dad yells from the crowd, “Stay between your girl and the basket! Jamee, guard your girl!” I can always hear him. I listen for his voice even more than my coach’s words. My sister does this, too. I know that I will have a lot of coaches, none will be as good as Dad.
I keep getting better every year. Since Kindergarten I have gone from thinking the basket it too high to making most of my shots. Middle school and high school will be my time to play on the teams and score points when everyone is cheering. I will always hear my dad yelling, “Come on, Jamee, you can do it!” I can’t get enough of this game. That is why basketball is for ME!!!

4 comments:

  1. Your story was great, you had good flashbacks, dialog, description, ctf, cr.

    You also started your story out great saying:Basketball is the sport that gets my adrenaline pumping. simple, but says a lot.

    you wrote a good story because you told us what you wanted to tell us and you didn't dilly dally.
    Tomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said your dad was like a piece of metal imposible to break through.

    I have a connection to winning an award. I have won an award befor.

    I like your vocab in the first sentence. AIDAN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your introductory sentince made me excited to read this and it gave me some clues like basketball is what your story is about and you do it a lot.

    I could see you and your family playing basketball on a cement court with your mom on a lawn chair video taping you guys and your dog sitting by her. Good description!

    I didn't know your dad was like a piece of metal, I'm scared. :)

    Congratulations on your award!

    In high school, I'll be your cheerleader!

    I love your story!
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. amazing word choice.
    2. great charicters thoughts and feelings
    3.i really like your flashbacks and detail you put in the story

    tenzing

    ReplyDelete